Hamilton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
With more and more cities becoming more bicycle-friendly, drivers of motor vehicles need to be hyper aware of their surroundings. And the same applies to bikers as well. Being hit by a car while riding a bike can have devastating consequences.
Because most insurance policies include no-fault benefits or accident benefits, If you are hit by a motor vehicle while cycling in Ontario,it is possible to make a personal injury claim using your own auto insurance. Depending on the circumstances, you may also qualify to make a claim against the driver, but you will require proof that they are partially or completely at fault.
Legal matters, resulting from bicycle accidents, should be handled by an experienced personal injury lawyer, so you have the time to recuperate and make the best recovery, while your lawyer obtains the compensation you deserve. Leave it to us to protect and defend your rights!
What are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents?
When accidents occur, many drivers claim they didn’t see the cyclist, but a variety of factors lead to bicycle accidents. This includes anything from inattention on the road to the misjudgement of a cyclist’s speed to negligent behaviour.
- The motor vehicle turns into the path of the cyclist
- Drivers and passengers open the vehicle doors in the path of an oncoming cyclist
- The motor vehicle changes lanes in front of the cyclist, so they don’t have enough time to react
- Roads are not maintained and have potholes
- The driver exhibits reckless driving
Victims of bicycle collisions are entitled to compensation. Your own insurance company will usually provide you with accident benefits that include medical expenses, as well as income replacement. Should you or a loved one not have insurance coverage, you will receive the compensation from the driver’s policy.
Building Your Case
When it comes to proving bicycle accidents, there are many avenues Hamilton injury lawyers can explore, such as by:
- Gaining access to video footage from commercial and private buildings
- Speaking with witnesses
- Gathering accident information, including data from police reports, road conditions, etc.
While building your case, lawyers will review the details of the law to argue that you were following the correct protocols and procedures or had the right of way. While the Highway Traffic Act was primarily written for motor vehicles, there are many laws that apply to cyclists:
- Comply with all signs, such as stopping at a STOP sign and red light
- Wear a helmet, especially when going on the highway
- A bicycle must have a horn or bell that functions
- Walk your bicycling beside you when crossing a crosswalk
- Cycling in the right direction on one-way streets
- Stop two metres behind streetcar doors to wait for passengers to embark and disembark
However, cyclists can still end up in a bicycle accident no matter how well they follow the law. That’s why you should consider meeting our lawyers at a consultation. We can save you a lot of stress and deal with any issues that can arise when dealing with an insurance company.
Filing a Claim for a Bicycle Accident
If cyclists file their bicycle accident claim on time and it’s approved, they can gain compensation for:
- General damages (e.g., pain and suffering, loss of amenities/joy of life, etc.)
- Past and future loss of income, future earnings
- Household capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
To make things easier for you, consider hiring a bicycle accident injury lawyer. They can assist you with investigating your claim, building a strong case, and dealing with insurance companies while you get the support you need for your injuries.
When Should You Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer After an Accident?
Always contact a lawyer as soon as possible, usually after you’ve seen a medical professional. The reason for this is because personal injury law has time limits on claim submissions.
Hiring a lawyer means they will know the ins and outs of the law and ensure that your paperwork is submitted on time. Personal injury lawyers will also give you access to the support you need to recover.
Whether you’re in Hamilton, Guelph, Toronto, or elsewhere in Ontario, the Wynperle bicycle accident lawyers are here for you! Contact us today for a free consultation.